About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Losses: Not By Death

My session today with Faith was like pulling steel out of concrete.  My thoughts were jumbled as I struggled to find the right words to describe how I was feeling.  I hate days like today.

I know feeling down adds difficulty to (what should be) easy reasoning.  When I feel my eyes darting from side to side I know my cognitive thinking is impaired.  It may last for a few minutes or a few days.  I'm not aware if I have control over it.

Taking my medication doesn't seem to help.  I have times when I become overwhelmed in thought and want to check out from interacting with people.  Just let me live away from people so I can think straight.  But then again, there are no guarantees this new lifestyle would prevent these episodes from happening.

I remembered another reason I am struggling with eating a little too much.  I received a call from a girl who used to be a friend.  I screen all of my calls.  When I saw her name on Caller ID I felt panic.  I did not answer the phone.

Instead I covered my ears as my answering machine picked up the call.  I could barely hear her voice.  I knew I was in no condition to listen to anyone about anything.  That was a couple days ago.  I still haven't listened to the message.

I feel no sense of urgency to listen to it.  A couple of years ago, our friendship ended badly.  She hurt me deeply.  She apologized a couple years later.  I forgave her.

I've learned that forgiving someone does not mean you throw your hat back in the ring.  I cautiously told her she could call me if she needed anything knowing my boundaries are in place.  I want a friendship with her again but not one that is deep.

When Faith and I were talking about loss, I remembered this person was a hurtful loss.  In the end she was mean.  She did not do anything like Jesus would.  And yes, she is a Christian.

I have no best friend anymore.  She could have been but I've really only had one best friend.  Our friendship dissolved when my mental illness and self-injury became too much for her.  I decided to leave when she couldn't spend time with me outside of her grand kids.  I always knew that was going to happen.

I guess the losses I'm feeling are:  physical strength, mental clarity, grief and trust.

I hope my mind clears up soon.