About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Friendship Diversity

True story. The other night I was making pasta for dinner. The boiling pot was on top of the stove. (Can you tell what's coming?) I reached to get the salt on the back of the stove and accidentally flipped the pot by the handle so hot water spilled all over the stove top. Thankfully, I was not burned. I went to my sink to get a wad of paper towels. As I was wiping up the water, POOF! the paper towels caught on fire and I had to drop those bad boys into the sink and douse them with water. The moral of the story is?

I posted this story on Facebook.
I one person said, "Less cooking, more eating out."
Several people agreed with that.
One person just laughed out loud.
My response?  Move the salt.

I find it fascinating how many different ways people deal with preventing a crisis "next" time.
Some make a small adjustment - move the salt.
Some make a major adjustment - stop cooking altogether.

To understand those responses is to know my friends.
Each way they dealt with the problem is symbolic of their true nature.
That's why it's so important to have a diverse group of friends.

While it's true that I haven't kept up with them, learning about their lives and what matters to them continues to be such a blessing.  They are still wacky or serious or love to dance or enjoy reading.  Some are Moms, some are Grandmas, some are married, some are happy single.  In any case, they have come into their own and it's truly a delight to see.

And isn't that what friendship is really all about?  Allowing your friend to grow and excel and experiment while you support her no matter the outcome of her courage to try new things?  That's what I want my friends to do for me.  

Sure, there's all the emotional support and stuff like that but if that is all there is, the friendship is not truly living. Friendships need to breathe and spread their wings and fly.  Not be stifled by childish insecurity and fear.

Jesus said, "If you are truly my disciples and live as I tell you, you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."  John 8:32

Even Jesus wants us to be free in the truth!