About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, February 03, 2014

Changing Old to New

I just finished watching the movie, "Machine Gun Preacher."
It wasn't what I expected which means it was better.
It's rated R so skip the scene after he gets released from prison (the car scene) and there's some drug use and language but after that it's mostly gun stuff.

This movie is based on the true life story of Sam Childers.
His journey toward God, with God and then hearing God's purpose for his life is nothing short of miraculous.
I believe all of us have had or can have that kind of encounter with God.

God doesn't look for people who are perfect, have it all together or don't need His help.
He loves them just the same but people who leave God's will out of their plans will miss out on the full life He wants to give to them.

Jesus hung out with the sick.
Jesus hung out with the corrupt.
He even hung out with prostitutes.

For me, Jesus is hanging out with someone who has mental illness.
Someone who is a recovering alcoholic.
A woman who has an eating disorder and self-injures though not by cutting.

I need Him several times a day so I can get to my purpose.
Thankfully I don't have to travel to another continent to write my book.
Still, there are days I feel I'm wandering aimlessly down the beaten path.

God is in the business of snatching us up out of sinful behaviors and replacing them with life giving behaviors.  All we have to do is invite Him in and give those new behaviors a try.

I'm so glad He's never content leaving me just as I am.