About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Food Addiction In Full Swing

It's no surprise my food addiction is in full swing.
I've reverted to when I was under incredible amounts of non-stop stress from 2006-2008.
It feels like everything that was floating peacefully was startled awake by a crashing storm.
Too much?  Perhaps.

In the movie, "The Perfect Storm," a swordfish captain finds himself in a dry spell.  This spell is lasting longer than previous ones.  He decides to do a quick turn around.  When he tells this to his crew, they are less than eager to go.  Why?

1.  They just got in and wanted to spend time with their families.
2.  No one with any sense goes out in October because of the storms.
3.  What's going to be different this time out?

Those are legitimate concerns but number three is key.  What's going to be different?   The captain tells them they are going to go further out to where the fish are and they are going to bring in the biggest catch they've ever seen.  He promises them success because in his heart, he needs this success, too.

I pose a similar scenario about my stress level, overeating and weight gain.

I start by telling myself for the umpteenth time - "Let's shed these unwanted pounds so you feel better about yourself, are not embarrassed in public and get your self-esteem higher."

What I haven't done is ask myself this question:  What's going to be different this time?

Nothing.  Can't think of a darn thing that will be different.  So naturally, I'm getting the same results:  frustration after frustration after frustration.

This insight is like the cue ball on a pool table being struck so hard by the pool stick that all the other balls break away from the pack and some of them fall into a pocket.  Quite frankly, for several years, I've felt like the pool balls in the middle of the break that barely move.

What does that say about my plan?

Something needs to change.