About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, February 07, 2014

If I Had Cancer

Six years ago this month, my Dad died.
A heart attack killed him but he had many medical ailments.
The one that concerns my own health is colon cancer.

I had a polyp removed six years ago.
No cancer.
I'm due to have another colonoscopy this year.

It's something I think about from time to time.
I saw what it did to my Dad's quality of life.
But my Dad rarely went to the doctor for preventive medicine.


I read and listen to a lot of stories about cancer.
Children, adults, breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, brain cancer.
The list of cancers is a long one, each of them categorized by stages.

Like I said, my Dad's cancer was aggressive.
It took only a few months for the colon to weaken.
He had surgery to try and repair it but it was too late.

My sisters and I offered on numerous occasions to help.
But my Dad was a proud man.
And his wife?  Well, she was a mystery to us.

No person should be made to live the way he did in his last years.
Though I have wondered if he reached out to God in those moments.
I like to think he did even though there is no evidence supporting that hope.

If I had cancer, I would reach out for help.
I would ask for prayer, ask for whatever I needed.
No matter what, I wouldn't shrink away from my family like he did.

I would never leave my family to wonder, "Why didn't you let us help you?"