About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Plans for a Future

I was asked, "Why do you shut down?"
There are several reasons:

  • I'm scared of the feelings I'm having.
  • I feel overwhelmed and want to drink.
  • I don't feel safe "out here."
  • It quiets my head.
  • I don't have to talk to anyone.
  • It pushes people away.
  • I can hide in plain sight.
  • I can pretend I'm okay.
  • It doesn't hurt anyone.
  • So I can function.

I know these are not healthy reasons.  All of them have served me well at some time in my life.  I used this method of coping today.


Shutting down is another form of isolation.  It takes me away from the world and puts me into a cocoon.  The problem is that I don't emerge as a butterfly.  I emerge as the same caterpillar.

God wants more for me than to stay the same.  He wants me to trust Him on this journey.  He has placed safe people around me who can help me transform into a butterfly.

One of those people is my therapist.  She told me God has wonderful plans for me.  Plans to prosper me and to give me hope.  

She was reminding me of Jeremiah 29:11.

There are days I want to stay a caterpillar.  Today is one of those days.  The thought of being transformed, even though it's a desire I said out loud, still scares me.

What if I fail?
What if I don't do it right?
What if I get finished and I don't like who I've become?

OR

What if I succeed?
What if I do it right?
What if I get finished and I really like who I've become?

Given the choice, I pick the latter one.