About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Counselors

When I was given an ultimatum by my mom, I was fifteen years old and full of hate.  She said I had two choices.  I could either move out of the house or I could go to counseling.  I knew I couldn't move out.  Heck, I couldn't legally drive yet.  I chose to go to counseling.

My first counselor was a well known Al-Anon speaker.  I was familiar with her for I'd already been in Alateen for over a year. She spoke at open meetings.  I wasn't sure what to make of her.

She was the one my mom talked to about being my counselor.  I know I didn't talk hardly at all.  She did the talking.  I listened with my head down looking at my lap.  If you looked at me you wouldn't know whether I was a boy or a girl.  I had long hair that hid my face, a t-shirt with a black leather coat, well worn jeans and well worn gym shoes.  I was more a boy than a girl.  I preferred it that way.

My outward appearance kept people away from my broken heart.  I opened up to nobody, I socialized with nobody, I went to school and talked with nobody, I lived at home and was treated like nobody.  Why would I ever think I was somebody?  Let alone, somebody God would pay attention to let alone die for on a wooden cross between two common thieves?

The counselor labeled me gay at age 17.  She misdiagnosed extensive sexual and physical abuse.  Or at least that's what I told myself.  I accepted Jesus payment for my sin at age twenty.  I asked her what the bible said about homosexuality.  She said it was written when men were leaving their wives for other men.  It was written a long time ago.

I didn't believe her.  Her methods and beliefs were not based on the truths in scripture.  I decided to leave.  It was the best decision I made for my recovery and for my identity.

Then came Liz then Carol then Jeff then Julie then Faith.  Not so many over a thirty-two year span.  Each one with their own set of rules, ways of doing things, insights and shortcomings.

The cure for my broken heart has been entrusted with each of them at different times, at different levels, in different ways for different reasons.  Four of the five are concrete believers.

Who is the ultimate healer of broken hearts?  Jesus.

Here's a brief excerpt from Beth Moore: