About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Who Can I Trust?

In a recent Facebook post, a dear friend responded to a well known preacher's post about his opinion on what God said we should do in order to get a something.  His opinion was not based on scripture.  I've been taught by my pastor(s), always seek what the bible says - true or false?

So I looked it up.  The preacher's perspective was contrary to what Prov 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."  

To me, this verse says to trust God with every portion of my heart.
To trust God's wisdom, not my own.
To seek his will all the time, not my own.
When I do this, he will show me the path he wants me to follow which may not be the path I want to follow.

It's complete submission to what He wants for me - not what I want for me.

God cannot be manipulated by anything I do or say.  Unlike human beings, God's character remains the same and does not waiver under any circumstance.  He cannot be bribed and he cannot be tricked.

When I am living in His trust, his understanding, his will and on his path, I can be certain it's all him and only him.  I'm better able to discern the steps he wants me to take because I am IN him and he is IN me.  

I am in a constant state of change and growth because of my relationship with Jesus in whose image I am being transformed into (Paraphrase of 2 Cor 3:18 NIV).  Simply put - I am God's daughter and in his presence I can rest.  I can put my hand in his hand and let him guide me to those places I need to grow and change.

I'll never be alone again.  Even when I feel alone in the isolating world of mental illness there will be moments of peace.  And in those moments of peace there will be moments of reminders that God my Father, Jesus Christ my Savior and the Holy Spirit my Counselor will be with me.

The three of them, also known as the Trinity, will always have my back.