About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, May 05, 2014

Dreaming About Someone From Your Past

PatC, BonnieB, SueE, CarolD-S 
The depression was an eight on a scale of one to ten - ten being the worst.  The hardest part wasn't staying inside and watching TV.  The hardest part was the migraines.  I know those contribute to the depression and in some cases, cause the depression.

I was missing Carol, missing my bumming around buddy, dreaming a lot about past friendships and feeling grief/sadness about my lack of self-esteem.  I pray for God to help me grow in confidence about myself, especially as I write my story, so I can see many good qualities I have anchored in His love.

I had a nasty migraine during the night.  I had a dream about someone I used to serve alongside at church.  We grew closer together when her dad was diagnosed with cancer.  She let me minister to she and her dad during that sad time.  I was surprised because I didn't know she trusted me like that.

At her dad's wake, when she saw me walk in, she walked right at me and surprised me with a huge hug.  The friend who drove us there commented she didn't know this person knew me so well.  I don't remember answering her.  I just remember his daughter looking at me from time to time with a smile.

I never asked anything of her.  I always asked God what to do for her.  She had a very visible staff position and the last thing I wanted to do was be someone she had to "manage."  I sent encouraging notes, scripture verses, even a cassette tape with a song I thought would comfort her.   

When I returned from a trip to Japan, we sat and she asked me to recount the entire thing.  When I got to the part about the climb up Mt. Fuji, we were both in tears at how God's spirit moved in those moments of the sunrise.  She was someone who's heart was tender and appreciated the encouragement I sent her way with no strings attached.

Then one day, it stopped.
Did I do something wrong?  No.
Was I out of God's will?  No.

Sometimes, relationships stop and we don't know why.

All of our lives continue to go on even when who is in our life changes.

The only constant relationship we are guaranteed is our relationship with God through Jesus Christ.  When you have Him, you have everything!