About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Reunited Friends

Have you ever had one of those moments when someone you "friend" from grade school invites you to get together?

In that moment you might hesitate because your movie mind rewinds back 40 years to around the time you first met them then fast forwards to today.  You briefly relive the ups and downs, struggles and successes you've had in life and then ask yourself this question:

If she's good enough to connect to on Facebook, isn't she good enough to reconnect with in person?

The answer is a solid YES.

Even though I had to wait about six weeks for the medication to stabilize my symptoms, I kept my word because it's one of my highest values.  I started praying a few days ago that I wouldn't have an anxiety attack.  I dressed very comfortably and I arrived early so I could get used to the environment.

If this sounds a little strange it's because I have some forms of mental illness that can send me into a freak out mode and I wanted to avoid those at all costs.

Before I went into the coffee shop, I asked God to help me be a good listener and to respond when there was silence.

If I had any doubts about how my friends felt about me, those quickly dissipated.  Saundra barely set her purse down and grabbed me for a long hug!  It was warm and welcoming.  A few minutes later when we were seated, Jennifer walked in and basically did the same thing.

Our conversation had a healthy rhythm where it ebbed and flowed from family to school days to stories to kids in our lives to friends.  It was as if time had not passed between us.  I felt completely at ease.

Saundra has a tradition of taking pictures when she is with friends - I think it's a story thing.  I, of course, like to make silly pictures.  Jennifer was laughing at our goofiness so the pictures came out great.

When we said our good-byes, hugged some more, yelled our "I love you"'s and went on our way, I sat in my car and thanked God for the time we spent together - for the sacrifice they made taking time away from their families.

I've always loved these two ladies.  They have always held a special place in my heart.  I was honored to be with them.  They filled my heart with joy!!! <3

Oh - and we'll be getting together again!  That much I can promise.