About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, June 09, 2014

When Depressed, Help Others

I woke again very early and felt discouraged.  I don't know why I'm not able to sleep later like I've been used to.  I move from my bed onto my couch and watch a movie.  During the movie I drift back to sleep until I wake up and slowly start my day.  I'm still depressed but I try to make the best of it.

Today I had one thing to look forward to.  A phone call from one of my closest friends.  I used to see her when I would visit my mom.  God gave she and her husband the nudge to move far south several years ago.  I can't remember when I last saw her.

Talking to her today was like sitting across from her sharing a cup of tea.  It was just what I needed from my dear friend.  I needed to hear about her life:  The blue birds, the baby eggs, she and her husband being the landlords, the eggs hatching and the next group of eggs.  I could picture her gentleness caring for these little ones.

She told me how the teaching and her outline is coming along.  It was so good to hear how God is clearly revealing some points He wants her to focus on.  She is a gifted teacher and so humble to take none of the credit.  Not only am I praying for her but I'm going to join in on reading the book from which she is teaching and send her any thoughts God places in front of me to share.  I feel so much love for my friend, through her tears.

After we hung up, I went to a couple of stores.  When I finished putting my things into my car I noticed an older woman pushing her cart toward me and looking around.  I asked, "Ma'am, do you need help finding your car?"  "Yes, I thought it was over here but now I don't know."  During the search I tried to put her at ease by making her laugh.  After some looking on the other side of the lot, she found it!  She thanked me and said I was a "tracker."  

On the way home I was driving near some very tall grass when I spotted two Canadian Geese with little babies trying to cross the road.  I turned around then turned around again and coaxed this little family back into the tall grass.  I kept inching forward to discourage them from crossing the road and pretty soon they gave up.  They were safe in the grass which was also a marsh.

I had a conversation with a friend about her friend who is depressed.  I made a bold move by stating, "If what you're telling me is true, she needs help now.  She needs to see her psychiatrist and therapist.  I asked if she got rid of things when she's depressed.  She said no, only when she's bored.  I told her that's a tell tale sign of the first step toward suicidal ideation.  And that's not something you want to mess with.  Then I told her be willing to talk to her because I've been where she's been.

Each of these women or situations reminded me of an important truth:

God uses the very least of us to love, encourage, help and speak truth into the lives around us.

No matter how useless I feel.
No matter how knowledgeable I am.
No matter how small the task.
No matter if anyone else notices.
No matter If they want my help.

God knows my heart for people.  He knows my love for them.  He knows I want to comfort their fear.  He knows I want to expose the lies.  He knows I want to protect them from harm.

But........not my will be done.