About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Separated By Survival

I'm the oldest of three girls.  My first sister is 20 months younger than I.  My second sister is 38 months younger than I.  We were born close together.  I wish my relationship with them had been that way, too.

When I was born, we lived in an apartment in Evanston, IL.  Both of my parents families were there so it made sense to live there.  Before my first sister was born, my parents decided to move out to the country.  We lived in that house when my second sister was born.

When I turned five my parents bought a new ranch home not far from where we lived.  There was no grass yet but when there was it was a very nice sized yard to play in.  The village had a lot of kids to play with, three parks to ride your bike to and the Fox River to swim in, ice skate on or float on with those great big tubs.  Mischief?  Oh yes.  But it was where we grew up.

The village had a bar.  It's where my dad spent a lot of his time and where my sisters and I spent a lot of our time.  The hard part was when we were left at home alone at night.  I would call the bar and ask to speak to my mom.  Sometimes my mom would answer the phone and sometimes it would be my dad.  If it was mom she said she'd be home soon.  If it was my dad he'd say never mind when we're coming home.  Either answer meant nobody was coming home no matter how often I asked or how scared we were.

Being the big sister meant I had unfair responsibilities put on me.  Because of that it became me against my two sisters.  Whenever we fought or argued or had a water fight down the hallway or when I became so angry I poured my cereal on one of their heads or one time when I threw steak knives at them, it was me against them.

What about the physical abuse?  It was always on me.  Never on them.  My job was to protect them from the monster.  They were too young.  I was old enough to understand.  I was the one who had the staring matches with him, who got slammed into the wall by my neck, who got told to get the f$&* out of the house when I ran away, who was driving him home drunk for 14 miles one way, who would have killed him if I had the means.

My sisters had each other.  I had no one.
They watched out for each other.  I watched out for them, my mom and myself.
They played together.  I played with friends.
They went to school together.  I made sure they got to where they needed to be.

Today, in 2014, I am still a third wheel.  I can feel it.  When we're together at a family function they don't even know they're doing it.  They have their own way of talking to each other.  They don't know I'm sitting there.  It's like they're in their own world.  I can see it in their eyes, their mannerisms and their behaviors.

My relationship with each of them has improved.  I grieve that loss every time we're together.  It's like a nail piercing my heart.  This little voice says, "You're never going to have with them what they have with each other."  And that little voice is right.

And this is what I have to say back to that little voice:

Damn you, Dad!
Damn you, Mom!
Damn you, Alcoholism!
Damn you, Sin!