About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Overcomer

Is it just me or is the whole world breaking up into pieces?

Every time I log onto Facebook I read news stories about girls and women missing, kidnapped or being raped; animals and babies hurt or abandoned; the leaders of our nation more concerned about the sound byte than doing their jobs and other countries struggling to keep peace.


I'm so grateful we have a God who not only sees what's going on but is actively involved in bringing His love and provision through His people (including ministries) and the church.  

Whenever I start to go down the road of "life is too hard," I force myself to say, "It's only too hard without God."  I wake up everyday with two choices:  Include God in my day or don't include God.

When I include God the day flows much better.  I'm less likely to feel irritated by other people's behavior and then sin in my thoughts.  I flourish in the tasks I set out for the day even if I am only able to complete one of them.  I have patience and compassion when driving in traffic, noticing people's faces who are downcast, tear-streaked or look like they need some of God's good lovin'.

The world is going to continue getting worse.  That we can't stop.  Our faith in God and His Supreme plan supercedes all the sin and dysfunction that surrounds us.  Here's what Jesus had to say about where to put our hope:

John 16:33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” 

That's where my head rests especially on the days when the voices inside my head are screaming and shouting about upsetting stories in the global news. It's out of my control.

Life is hard enough without walking through it unguided with no hope.  God sent Jesus as a love offering for our sin.  He paid our debt in full.  If we accept that payment and ask Jesus into our hearts, He will be with us forevermore.

Jesus is our Overcomer!