About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, September 26, 2014

Seasons, Beginnings, What Works

Photo by Amy Endler
Fall.
The changing of seasons.
Foliage from green to yellow and orange and red.
Leaves falling from the trees to blanket the ground.
Fall.

Temperatures in the 70's with blue skies and sunshine.
The air is crisp and clean and the wind blows softly.

The squirrels are scurrying about collecting their winter stash.
The birds are building their nests in hidden places.
Tempertures heading toward cold, other animals prepare for winter.

New Beginnings.
A new school year.  A new ministry season.  A new fiscal year.
Children excited about learning new academics from new faculty.
Churches excited about preaching the Good News and discipling believers.
Profits and Not-For-Profits starting with a clean slate, new budget and new goals.
New Beginnings.

Doing What Works.
Having quiet time some point during the day to settle the mind.
Reading something that will stimulate and challenge the mind.
Writing something that is from the heart and the mind.
Walking so that endorphins can be released into the mind.
Keeping What Works.

Doing More of What Works.
Attending an AA meeting once a week.
Participating in therapy once a week.
Taking medications as directed daily and refilling pill case every week.
Talking to family members once a week.
Doing More of What Works.

Still, There's More...
Keeping the house clean each day so clutter/dirt doesn't pile up.
Going to the Friends of the Library volunteer meetings.
Grocery shopping and purchasing healthy foods as needed.
Stay on budget all month with the goal of having money left at the end.
Still, There's More...