About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Talking and Shaking

















It's still difficult for me to talk.
To talk when I'm angry or
Disappointed or
Scared or
Sad or
Anxious or
Vulnerable or
Unsure of how I'm feeling.

Feelings are elusive at times for reasons unknown to me.

I can be having a conversation with someone when all of a sudden I hear my voice shaking.  I feel my body shaking.  I feel my foot bouncing on my knee.  

My eyes are not looking at the person I'm talking to.  They are looking at the ground or across from me or at the person for a brief second then quickly away.  I try to look okay but then comes the question.

"Amy, what's wrong?"  

"Oh, it's nothing.  Sometimes I shake when I talk."

I down play it. 
I down play the fear I'm feeling inside so that they don't feel uncomfortable.
I down play the fear I'm feeling inside so that they don't feel responsible.
I down play the fear I'm feeling inside so that I don't need to take a closer look at what's really going on.

I'd rather not focus on myself.  I don't know what I've been up to.  I don't know how I've been doing.  I don't know how I've been feeling.  I don't know why you ask me these questions but I wish you'd stop it.  

No....don't stop it.  

(Pause)

How am I supposed to have friends if I can't answer their basic questions without shaking?  Does anyone know the answer to that one?  Do I do it and keep shaking no matter how uncomfortable it makes me?

For now, that's the only way I know how to do it.