About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Movies & Feeling Better

Do you have a favorite coping thing you like to do that alleviates your depression or other mental illness symptom?  I have a list of them that I wrote up during a hospitalization a few years ago.  I recently pulled out a plastic box that holds most of those choices.  But there's one thing I love to do and I've been doing it for the last three or four weeks.  MOVIES.

I have complete sets of DVDs I'll never get rid of:

  1. Rambo
  2. Rocky
  3. Marvel's Super Heroes
  4. The last three Batman movies
  5. Transformers
  6. The Bourne series
  7. Pearl Harbor
  8. Extended Edition of the Lord of the Rings
  9. JAG (still building)
  10. West Wing
  11. Star Wars
Each of these collections satisfies a mood I'm in especially when I'm looking for something to last longer than 2-3 hours/ Sometimes I need a movie to last 2-3 days.  

Lately it feels as if my medication isn't working right.  I left a message on my psychiatrist's voice mail yesterday, hoping to get in to see him in the next day or two.  I feel panicky and the urge to break out of my surroundings.  I talked yesterday about what's causing it.  Maybe I should call my therapist, too. 

Knowing God is in control brings relief to the wackiness I feel but I must be honest and say He doesn't remove the wackiness.  Medication is the only thing that does it. 

My ultimate favorite movie is The Avengers.  
Kudos to Stan Lee for putting in these lines:



I pray you have a good day.
One where your hands are open, like mine are, 
to the God who heals all the hard stuff and
to the God who gives us so much good stuff.