About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Migraines, Dreams and Visions, Oh My!

I've had chronic migraines since my teenage years.  I guess that they are the result of physical abuse to my head.  But sometimes it's stress, what I eat, the weather or simply undefined.  For the past five days, four of them have been visited by Migraine.  Today it's almost continuous.

This day started early.  Migraine arrived full throttle in the darkness of the early morning.  I walked down the hallway to the kitchen to swallow over the counter pills.  I reached into the freezer to grab something cold to put on my head.  I fell back to sleep.

I awoke in a dream.  I was in the bedroom of a house.  It was all white but not stark white, maybe a drop of pink.  I wasn't sure where I was but I felt safe.  After a few moments I heard a familiar voice.  It was the voice of a woman who talks and prays over me at church.

I have tears running down my cheeks. I was thinking about how God provided a safe place during the pain for my spirit to rest.  That's how I understand it.  It's about trusting Him in the midst of pain, when pain hurts the worst.

I woke up again, for real this time.  I was getting ready for church and then this song played on Pandora:

During worship at church, I don't know if I was prompted or just tired from the migraines but I stayed seated instead of standing.  I interlocked my fingers, lowered my head and listened.  I don't know which song it was but a vision came into my head.  I wish I had a snapshot of it.

There's light shining down.  It's a light yellow hue.  I see my hands holding an open book with blank pages.  There's a loose red circle around the whole of what I could see.  I lift the book up to God as an offering.  Then a bright light illuminates the blank pages.  Rolling from the top of the left page down, like the unrolling of a scroll, words appear.  I remember the first sentence starting with, "You are the..."  Tears.  Lots of them.

Here I was, my head hurting and my spirit feeling safe and God reaches down to touch me - again.  He keeps touching me.  It's like He's trying to tell me that His touch is safe.  Through His church, He is able to touch me.  No pain, no bruises, no intimidation and no yelling.

Just touch.
He is safe.
And so are they...
So am I.