About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Living In Balance


When I found this picture it is the perfect depiction of how I want to live in balance with food.

I'm well aware of the uphill battle that might be before me.  I'm keenly aware that I have not invited God into this battle on a daily basis.  I've been fighting all alone.

Why do I do that?



There's a lot of shame hidden beneath my excess weight.  The shame comes from negative messages I hear in my head.

"You're broken."
"You lost your value."
"Your mental illness defines who you are."
"Being alone keeps everyone else safe."

Where did those come from?  I haven't always had those thoughts.  I think they've surfaced over the last twenty years when I first had an emotional breakthrough.  After that, the weight began packing on.

It's difficult watching yourself get bigger while you work through hard issues.  When your therapist says, "Don't worry about your weight."  I was worried...and for good reason.

About that same time, someone at my church pulled me aside and confronted me about the weight gain.  I told her I was working on sexual abuse issues and my therapist told me not to worry about it.  I was embarrassed by her questions and felt shame.

I want to be able to make good choices.  Living in balance requires mental energy and awareness.  I'm not sure I have those right now.

It may sound like excuses but believe me, I'm ready to figure this out and I'm ready to include others in the process.