About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, March 24, 2014

Good Christian


A boss I had over ten years ago found me on Facebook.  Turns out her son knows my nephew from school.  She said she did the creeping search and found me.  I didn't know there was a note from her until almost two months later.  When I read who sent it, my heart was over joyed.

Erin was one of three supervisors I reported to.  But Erin had a special quality about her.  When I was having difficulty with my primary boss, she gave me advice on how to handle it.  When I had issues from my abused past surface, she listened and gave me tips on how to manage them and still be able to assert myself.

That job lasted about eleven months.  At first I loved it and was in the right fit.  But then because of changes in the company, I was moved to Carol and Erin's department.  I was moved to data entry which I knew wasn't a good fit.  I gave it a try but I just couldn't do it anymore.

One morning, I walked into Erin's office in tears, and told her I can't do this anymore.  She asked if I needed to leave that day and I said yes.  She asked if I could wait until lunch and I said yes.  She planned a goodbye time complete with a card and cake and sentimental farewells.  I was so moved I had tears in my eyes.

When I was asked where I was going, I said I didn't have a job to go to.  I had a lead on a job but there were no guarantees.  This was a step of faith.

I left the job and felt mixed emotions.  I felt elated and relieved that I was no longer going to be doing a job that was not a good match for my skill set and I felt very sad because I'd miss Erin, Carol and some of the other staff from other departments.

Sometimes God puts us in a working situation to teach us something, to prepare us for something or to be a witness for Him to others.  Erin said, "You set a good example of how to be a good Christian."  I remember having conversations with people about my faith but I knew it was my behavior that would really make the difference.  Hearing Erin say that warmed my heart as I hope it pleased God.

I want to please God in all I do.  Even though I have all the crap wrong with me, I still don't want to sin in it or behave in a way that embarrasses God.  I want to please Him the most and make him feel pleased.

He's my only Father.
I pray Erin and Carol come into a relationship with Him.