About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Hug Like No Other

Can Be Same Sex
When I was about 17 years old, I transitioned from Alateen into Al-Anon.  I went to a Friday morning meeting at a local church that became one of my regular meetings.  At that meeting I met Debra.

Debra was a mom, busy with many kids.  I loved listening to her when she shared because she always talked about her Higher Power.  Her HP was full of love, beauty, grace and peace.  He helped her through the bad times and certainly gave her good times.

I was going through a lot emotionally.  We had a mutual friend who I later discovered used me in many ways.  I was a teenager, not mature enough to see what was going on and felt love for her and from her like I hadn't felt before.

This woman's Dad passed away.  Of course she was very distraught. What I didn't understand was why she didn't want to see me.  We were very close.  I felt rejected in many ways.

I went over to Debra's house.  She could see the pain I was in.  We'd been talking like many times before.  I stood up to leave and we were giving each other a hug but Debra didn't let go of me.  She held onto me for a long time.  And I don't mean one or two minutes.  I think it was more like twenty minutes or more.

I felt safe and I didn't want her to let go.  Sometimes one of her kids would walk in and she would talk to them without letting go of me.  I remember feeling so relaxed I could fall asleep.

When Debra and I did let go, she asked if I was okay.  I said yes.  I was a little self-conscious but I could see in her face that this was something she wanted to give.

Our paths crossed seven years ago.  All that love and affection flooded forward like no time had passed.  I asked Debra about that hug.  She said she's always wondered how I felt about it.  I told her how it's the only time I've ever felt completely safe and loved.

She smiled and told me that God had told her to hold onto me because I didn't know what it felt like to feel loved and to feel safe.

That's right!