About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Television or Reading

My mental illnesses go back and forth as to what I can and cannot do.  One of them is whether or not I can watch television (including DVD's, Hulu or Netflix) or read (newspaper, magazine, book) or listen to a book on CD.

I know what it feels like to not be able to engage with people (any people) and lock yourself in the house. The only thing you can do is pick out movies, preferably a series, to watch all day.  Don't answer the phone, don't make any calls, don't check e-mail - go dark.

Often times I watch war movies or under dog movies.  I like the violence because that's how I'm feeling inside, not being able to get out of my inner foxhole.  Or I'll watch movies where people are fighting for a cause, litigation or a greater good.  The movies I watch have to have a purpose beyond the obvious.

Then I have times when I can read.  It starts with on-line news.  I skip around to what's important and ignore the junk.  I hit the social media sites I follow.  I usually keep up to date with the obituaries (local to my area and in Chicago).  If I need to I'll listen to my church's sermon for the week.

I get the Chicago Tribune most days of the week so I look through there and read whatever I find interesting.  Sometimes I read my neighbor's copy of People magazine.  Other times I pick up a book but that doesn't happen very often.  My mind can't concentrate that long so I do better with short articles.

I get most of what I need from the internet because I don't spend the little bit of money I have on cable.  It's a decision I had to make and for me, it's a good one.  Sometimes I miss it but for the most part a radio or the internet does just fine.

Television or Reading.
I guess the television is used when my brain is turned off.
I guess the reading is used when my brain is in a brown out.