About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pet Expo - Chicago

Photo not mine, from Expo site
A friend invited me to go to the Chicago Pet Expo yesterday. I'd never been to one so I took a risk and said yes.  Aside from excursions with my nieces these past couple of months, going to the Pet Expo was a grand highlight this year.

There were lots and lots of rescue groups for dogs.  Not many groups for cats.  I learned there are more dogs in need of rescue than cats.  Some of the rescue groups did both.  Then I saw some booths that surprised me.

There are rescue groups for hoofed animals and horses, reptiles like snakes, turtles and iguana and exotic animals like rabbits and ferrets.  I'm sure there are many more.

I talked to a lot of the rescue groups.  I was impressed by their passion to give these neglected, abused, scared and starving for love animals a second chance at a good life.  Some of them were rescued from a kill shelter right off death row one or two days prior to being euthanized.  Of course I wished I could have taken at least one home but I have my own pet sanctuary I can financially support and I love them to pieces.

I spent most of the time getting on my knees, letting the dog sniff me, making eye contact then giving gentle head/body scratches and kissing them.  At least a handful surprised me (and their handler) when they snuggled up to me, kissed my lips, nose and face then laid in my lap.  When we looked at each other eye to eye, I could sense them looking past my eyes and into my soul.  I felt the same way, looking into their soul.  I said a prayer, asking God to place them with a loving family.

Before I talked to the rescue groups, I thought all the animals were young or puppies.  I was wrong.  Many of them are seniors.  Regardless of their age, all of them need a fur ever home.

My friend and I were able to catch the show she wanted to see.  It was very cute and impressive.  It was a K-9 show that had about 15 different breeds and sizes of dogs doing a variety of obstacle courses with their handlers while we cheered.  I was surprised at their agility, speed, normal dog behavior and how their talent and cuteness brought the audience to laughter and clapping.  What a show!

I was able to be at the expo for almost four hours.  I felt very comfortable having conversations with the booth volunteers and staff and learning about their facilities.  I learned the Ferret Rescue can house about 80 ferrets on site but can care for up to 150 ferrets with fostering.  Equally, I was able to keep the anxiety in check by focusing on how I was doing so it wouldn't sneak up on me.  I was even able to control my eating.

Truthfully, I was in an element I loved.  Animals have always been a safe haven.  People who love and rescue animals have big sacrificial hearts that seem to know what it feels like to be neglected, abused or abandoned.

They also know what it takes to heal those broken spirits so they can trust to love and be loved again.