About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day

When I was a little girl this day was the one time I hoped my daddy knew how much I loved him.  I'd make him a card with my own hands, write him a note with my own words and give it to him with a heightened sense of anticipation.  Even though my daddy wasn't the type of man to express his feelings, the little grunt he'd make and the, "Oh!" he'd say, well, it said it all.

He loved what I made and he loved me for making it.

Growing up through my junior high and high school years, the cards became a measurement of how much I loved him.  If the cards were somewhat sentimental or if they didn't measure up to what he wanted, no good  On the other hand, if they were filled with false words of how great a father he was and how much I loved him, those were met with "well done" reactions, like I'd won the grand prize of card giving.

Pleasing my dad was never easy to discern.  I either didn't measure up or measured up so much I didn't know how to do it better next time.  How do you please someone so that they'll love you every time?  I never did figure that out.

It started being hard having Father's Day nevermind right after my birthday when my parents divorced.  Mixed feelings, ya know?  Dad gives you a card and a gift.  I felt grateful because I missed my dad. Father's Day was hard because he wasn't at home anymore.  Even through all the abuse, this little girl still loved her daddy.  But along with the abuse came the painful memories that could not be forgotten.

Over the years, I would confront my dad about the abuse, he would deny it, we would have an on again off again relationship and then it happened.  In the summer of July 2006, he told all of us, including my mom, that he was going in for a test for colon cancer.  It was positive.  He had already stopped talking to me for reasons I'll never know.

I tried calling him, leaving three messages for him at home.  He never returned my calls or my sisters calls.  My dad went blind, one eye at a time.  He had high blood pressure.  He had colon cancer.  He went to bed the night of Feb 20, 2008 and died of a heart attack the morning of Feb 21,2008.

I wasn't mentioned in his obituary.
I truly did not exist to his wife.
I'll never be sure that was his wish
But I've got one up on both of them.

His signature is on my birth certificate as Father.

I miss my dad.  I hope he's in heaven free from his inner demons.  I know God chose him to be my dad. I believe he had great potential to be a great dad.  I had glimpses of that person several times.

I wish he would have had the courage to stare those demons in the face and give them to Jesus to kill.

Wherever you are dad, I wish your spirit peace.