About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pebbles In My Shoes

Crawling underneath my mobile home, I was flat on my belly. In order to move forward I had to push my feet into the gravel then scoot myself up.  I felt like a turtle.  Moving a little at a time to reach my destination.  

I was moving my cable from one side of the house to the other.  Thankfully it was easy to do.  Getting out was easier because I already knew what movements to use.  When I was through and standing upright, I felt some of the little pebbles that were under the home in my shoes.  I took off my shoes and shook them out.

It reminded me of being a kid and getting sand in my shoes.  It was very uncomfortable so shaking out the sand brought instant relief.  Pebbles from the beach or from the river water were tolerated for a time because playing brought with it more patience for pain.

Then there's the story about the oyster.  Remember that?  The oyster is very sensitive.  So sensitive that if a grain of sand, if just one little grain gets inside, over a period of time, it turns into a pearl!  But that's not the only way.  Click on this link to read more about oyster's making pearls

Back to pebbles.  I've always liked pebbles.  I like the feel of them when I pick them up in my hands and let them fall out of my fingers to the ground.  I like walking through them and seeing how big my foot is.  I like spreading them around and making hills out of them.  Kid stuff.

Little rocks.  Aquariums, too.  So many uses, really.

I enjoy rocks and arrow heads and fossils and lava and red rocks.

I'm a rock collector.

For the sheer joy of something solid our God has made on our earth.

Rock solid.