About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What Does Your 10% Look Like?

A few years ago, my pastor preached on "Finishing Well."  (my recollection) He talked about workers (ministry and worldly) only giving 90% instead of 100%.  It seemed the quality of work was top notch at the beginning but then a strange thing would happen.  Near the end of a project, the project would be completed but finishing the job became more of a burden than a motivator.

People would stop showing up to finish the job, abandon their responsibilities and determined what they had completed was good enough.  After all, they finished 90% on time, the job was basically done and who could complain about that?

In my life at that time, I was a high achiever.  I had a high performance job, I served in a high performance position in ministry and all I knew was high performance living.  I couldn't imagine myself only giving 90%.  I always gave 100%.

But then something happened.  I began to have migraines on a regular basis.  I started losing sleep.  I started gaining weight.  My relationship with God was not what I wanted it to be.  I was substituting healthy living with high performance.  I was going downhill.

I remembered what my pastor said.  He didn't say to live full speed 100% of the time.  He didn't say to give yourself to your job or ministry 100% of the time.  He said to do what God has given you to do and make sure to do the last 10%.  Big difference.

When I run reports and I realize I could have added some numbers that would help my boss, do the extra 10% and rerun the report.  When I train someone and I remember I forgot to tell them about a simple database tool don't wait until tomorrow.  Do the last 10% and tell them today.  When I forget my gym shoes so I can walk outside where I'll be refreshed don't just pull out and drive away.  Do the last 10% so some stress can go away.

 Now that I'm on disability for mental illness and back injury, my last 10%  looks a little different.

  1. If I take my meds but I forgot to fill it with the ones I just picked up, do the last 10% and fill the rest of the pill box.
  2. If I need CPAP supplies but I keep having to wait too long on the phone, do the last 10% by using speakerphone and hold until someone answers no mater how long it takes.
  3. If I need to speak to my therapist but she's not available, do the last 10% by finding another coping behavior that will help me instead of hurting myself.
  4. If my finances are tight and I'm feeling stressed out, do the last 10% by reworking the numbers and asking God if there's someone who can help me.
  5. If my house is cluttered and dirty by my standards, do the last 10% by asking my sisters to come over and help me.
This, for me, is now about asking for help.  Somethings I can do on my own like keeping up with most of the housework because I have a small home.  Other stuff that takes my brain is a little tougher.  

In any case, doing the last 10% keeps me responsible for myself which is where the responsibility lays.