About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

4 Years and 363 Days

I remember this day's details very well.  It was Wednesday.  Aaron's mom and dad were meeting with the doctor about his brain injury.  The severity, whether or not he'd ever have quality of life and what options did they need to consider.  It was that day when final decisions were starting to be made.

Downstairs, the hospital gave a large room to a group of Alateens that were close friends with Aaron and his brothers.  They attended a large conference every year that allowed long distance friendships to form quickly.  When this group heard about Aaron they jumped into a car and drove a long stretch of hours to be here.  Not only did they support their friends but they also brought lots of supplies for making t-shirts with Aaron's picture on them.

I started recovery in Alateen in September of 1981 and I attended that same conference soon after.  I know how important it is to have people you meet instantly extend a hand and a hug with no strings attached.  At age 42 I felt a connection to these kids.  I knew I needed to be among them, their energy, their laughter of memories with Aaron and their artistic talents.  I needed to express my own artistic love for Aaron by making my own t-shirt.  So I did.


As a Christian, I was receiving promptings from the Holy Spirit.  Before I came to the hospital that day I was prompted to pick up two pins - an angel and a cross.  The whispers I was hearing concerned Aaron being saved and baptized.

I'd been spending time alone with him, watching him lay there without an expression on his face.  We used small green sponges to put into the water and on his lips to keep them moist.  There really wasn't anything we could do for him.
Aunt Amy and Aaron
I sensed a moment to go into his room.  I had the pins in my hand and I walked slowly to the far side of his bed where his head was resting.  His eyes were closed, the ventilator was breathing for him, the heart monitor showed he was alive and his blood pressure and heartbeat were strong.  As I looked down at my nephew, who I knew was not coming home with us, I stroked his hair with my hand and said, "Hey Aaron.  It's Aunt Amy.  Do you remember the day we had Easter together and all of us were telling you about our relationship with Jesus?  How if you asked Him to forgive your sins you'd be forgiven and you'd be in Heaven forever?  Well, Aaron, I don't know if you ever made that decision but time is going to run out.  So I'm here to ask you...Aaron, would you like Jesus to forgive your sin and be in Heaven forever?"

And then, what I can only describe as a miracle, happened.  A tear rolled down Aaron's right cheek.  I took that as a sign of him saying, "Yes."  And for a moment, I felt tender.  So we prayed for him to receive Christ.  I held the cross to his hand with mine.
Aaron
Then I balanced the cross on his precious hand so he could hold it himself. I pinned it to his gown and along with it, an angel to his pillow. Afterwards, I wet my finger and baptized him by making the symbol of the cross on his forehead. Then I kissed him and reminded him of the streets of gold, the angels welcoming him and how we'd see each other again one day. I reminded him how much I love him and how much I was going to miss him. 
It was a very tender moment.

Wednesday?
Yeah.
I'll never forget that day.