About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Missing Church

The Pastor of my church, Bill Hybels, at Willow Creek Community Church










I've talked about this before.

I used to go to church twice a week.  I was a faithful attender, faithful servant in our kids ministry or singles ministry and I felt excited to be connected in groups of different kinds.  I was healthy in many ways but then something happened.

I started having emotional and physical problems at home then at work.  I was having seizures regularly, deep depression, anxiety, PTSD - you know, the whole ball of wax.  My world was falling apart.

Because of it, I had to step down out of serving, stop attending church, stop being in groups and stop working.  I had to go on disability.  My life since then has never been the same.

I don't say this for pity nor do I say this to draw attention.  A lot of people don't understand the speed of the progression of mental illness.  I believe it's always been inside of me.  I'm convinced my strength to hold it back gave out.  My world collapsed in an instant.

Since then I have tried to get to church.  I've had times of success, maybe a month or two but then the anxiety or whatever it is pushes me back.  I want to go back but I can't.

What do I do to keep my biblical and spiritual strength up?

I watch our sermons every week online.  I'm very blessed to belong to a church that makes this available every week.  If I can read, I read some scripture.  If I cannot read, I use a bible tool that reads scripture to me.  God has provided what I need in order to continue growing closer to him.

My dear friends Marie and Laurie are grounded in the Word so if I'm ever lost or feeling disconnected from God, I can talk to them about it.  They help me get grounded and centered.

I love God for all the ways He provides me access to Him.
It's just another way He pours out His love to all of us.