About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Can People With Mental Illness Have Meaningful Friendships? Part 3 of 5

Many many years ago, my mom got a phone call.  It was a friend telling her she found a fishing resort for sale in the upper Northwoods, would she like to drive up for a look?  She did. The friend and she talked about the finances, splitting up the responsibilities, etc.. Not long after, my mom moved to the Northwoods of Wisconsin.

It wasn't easy at all to see her go.  She was the hero in my and my sisters lives.  My one sister had already given birth to a grandson.  My sisters and I were now on our own and nothing was holding her back.  She said good-bye to the corporate world.  With tears in our eyes and with tears in hers, she packed up and away she went.

We knew we could go up there anytime.  It was only a six hour drive.  The baby actually loved to travel so I took him with me every time I went up there which was quite often.  She and her friend found the most beautiful place, right on one of the many fishing lakes.

As a Christian, my mom wanted to find a local church.  In her search she found an Evangelical Free church not far from the resort.  The teaching was solid bible based, the people were friendly and inviting, they had groups she could participate in and they even had a library with videos that could be checked out free of charge.

Somewhere along the way, my mom started telling me about Laurie.  Laurie was the head deaconess.  My mom served as a deaconess under Laurie's leadership.  They were in the same serving area.  My mom would tell me about Laurie's kindness and her steadfastness in decision-making.  I got the impression that Laurie was closely connected to God and in her position, did not waiver from Him.

Since my mom held this woman in such high regard I wanted to meet her.  I believe my mom introduced us. If there's one character quality Laurie has it's the ability to talk to someone she doesn't know and put them at ease.   She did that with me.

Not long after that visit, I had a lot of changes.  As an introvert, I pulled myself in and didn't reach out for awhile.  I thought about reaching out to Laurie each time I went up to my mom's but I was too afraid.  If I saw her in church I'd say "hi" but that was all I could muster.  Instead, my mom invited me to join her at their women's retreat.  I asked her if Laurie was going to be there.  She said, "Yes."  I packed up and drove up.

Before Laurie arrived, I asked God if Laurie would prefer a room to herself.  I sensed a "yes."  When Laurie arrived, she looked so tired.  When my mom was checking her in she told her, "Amy put you in a room to yourself."  She looked at me in surprise.  I told her I prayed about it and sensed she needed some introvert time.  She was still looking at me.

That weekend was incredible in so many ways.  All of it had to do with focusing on prayer and God.  He even gave mom and I some fun time.  Laurie's room was right next to our room.  My mom and I were in our beds.  Here's a warning:  My mom and I always tell stories, make up jokes and then we are laughing our stomachs out of our bodies.  We didn't know how loud we were.  Whenever we're together, unless it's inappropriate, we always find something to giggle about.

The next morning, Laurie walks up to us smiling.  She says something like, "I've never heard so much laughter like I heard from the two of you last night."  We were busted and slightly embarrassed.  We tried to chill out remembering she was our neighbor who was trying to sleep but we just couldn't do it.

At the end of the retreat, I knew for sure it was time to ask Laurie if we could spend some time together.
I wasn't sure what that would look like because it would have to wait until my next visit to my mom's.  That's when I prayed for God to guide me.  Not by my emotions but rather, by His will.

I didn't want to get hurt or disappointed unnecessarily and didn't want that for Laurie.

In tomorrow's reading, you'll learn how God's answer of  "yes" changed my fear into friendship.