About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Monday, March 31, 2014

God Showing Off


The other day I found this theatrical New King James Version CD set at a thrift store.  I'm a thrift store believer.  I've found many troves and treasures.  Things I would have otherwise purchased at full price but was fortunate to find them much cheaper here.

While browsing through the books, I found this tucked away in a cardboard holder.  The Cd's were inside a metal circular case.  I new exactly what it was but was doubtful all the Cd's were enclosed.


Many years ago when I had to go on disability, I had one Christmas when I could not give any gifts to anyone.  Then I had an idea.  What if I went shopping in my house?  I know I had things each child and member of my family would enjoy.

I have the gift of giving.  That means it gives me great joy to give gifts to those I love.  I personalize each gift so that the receiver feels chosen specifically for that gift.  When I walked through my house, I found my copy of the New Testament version.  I knew my brother-in-law would enjoy this so I gave it to him.

The giving I did that year came at a cost.  Each of the items I gave I really liked.  But I had to look past my own pain and focus on their pleasure.  After all, isn't that what Jesus taught us to do?  Isn't that what the New Testament taught us to do?

So when I found this little treasure with all the Cd's, I felt God saying, "See Amy?  You sacrificed what you loved for someone else's lifetime.  Now I can give this back to you for your lifetime."

I couldn't help but smile.

The very next day, my friend found the exact one I'd given to my brother-in-law.

As Beth Moore says, "This is my God showing off."

Yes, indeed, and I love every minute of it!!!!