About This Blog

My blog shares my recovery journey from childhood abuse to living with mental illness. I've been involved in twelve step groups and therapy since 1982. I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1988. To the best of my ability, I have followed where He wants me to go and what He wants me to do. Maybe you'll find the hope and strength you need through what I write. Maybe you want to stop hurting yourself. Maybe you have a friend who needs help and can benefit from my story. I was newly disabled when I asked God this question: "What do you want me to do with my life?" I closed my eyes and paused for a few moments to still my mind. This is what I sensed from Him: "Amy, I want you to write your story to bring hope and healing to those who are still suffering." And that's exactly what I am doing!

Friday, April 04, 2014

Are You Happy?

I was asked a question today by my therapist that threw me a little bit.  She asked me when I'd be happy again.  The reason why I was thrown off is because I'm in a season of grief where anniversary dates are coming and going.  Second, I have major depressive disorder so when was I supposed to be "happy?"

One of many positive character qualities my therapist has is a good heart.  If something she says doesn't come out quite the way she meant it, all I have to do is ask and she's quick to clear it up.  But is this something that needs to be cleared up?

Or is it my filter system that's causing a bit of an angry rub by that question?
What did I hear?

1.  I was doing something wrong by not being happy.
2.  I wasn't getting to "happy" quick enough.
3.  If I'd be happy my problems would lessen.

Hm.  Sounds like I have a problem.
Let's take a closer look.

What if when my therapist asked, "When are you going to be happy again?", instead of reacting to old negative voices, I remember her good character qualities and hear, "I'm concerned your depression is lasting so long.  Do you have times outside of our sessions when you are happy?"

Hear the difference?  So do I.  I'm still training myself how to stop and listen to what is being said, who is saying it, ask questions then respond.  Today was an off day so I didn't catch myself and let's admit it, none of us is perfect.

I have so many days when I bring the funny.  I have funny things that happen at home with the cats, a skunk, my family and my friends.  I know funny.

The other truth is that I just came out of a grieving time for the six year anniversary of my friend Cathy and my Dad's death.  Then in two weeks it's the four year anniversary of my nephew Aaron's death.

Are some things funny?  Of course they are.  Do I feel happy?  Of course I don't.

But I can tell you this.  God gives me comic relief to get through the grief.  When I grieve I feel a heavy boulder on my shoulders.  And when I laugh that boulder goes away for a little while.

It's all about balance.
It's always all about balance.